Recruiters: Why Should I Trust and Use Them? (especially in Malaysia)
Mon, Jul 31, 2023
0 min read
Ever gotten contacted by someone who calls themselves a recruiter, but wondered who and what they are? Read on to find out.
What’s a Recruiter?
A recruiter (or sometimes even known as a headhunter) is basically something of a matchmaker for you and your future job. They work as an intermediary between the employers and job seekers, to match the right people with the right opportunities. Recruiters are employed by companies like us at FIND.
Why Should You Use a Recruiter?
Well, why should a fresh graduate or an experienced person use a recruiter? Here are a few reasons:
- Save time and effort. Recruiters can save you a lot of time and effort by doing the legwork for you as they’ll match your skills and experience to job vacancies, and they’ll be in touch with the employers on your behalf. This can be especially helpful if you’re new to the job market or if you’re not sure where to start your search.
- Access to more opportunities. Recruiters often have access to jobs that are not publicly advertised. This means that you could be considered for positions that you wouldn’t have known about otherwise.
- Personalised advice. Recruiters have a wealth of experience of the local job market. They can help you assess your skills and experience and even give you advice on how to improve your chances of getting hired.
- Better offers. Recruiters are often able to negotiate better salaries and benefits for you because they have a relationship with the hiring manager, and they can advocate on your behalf.
- Priority pass. Recruiters often have relationships with hiring managers. This can give you a leg up on the competition and make it more likely that you’ll be considered for a job.
- Familiar face in a foreign place. If you’re considering a move to a different country for an opportunity, having a recruiter can help you get familiarized quicker.
Overall, whether you should use a recruiter depends on your individual circumstances. If you are short on time, want to access more opportunities, or need expert advice, then using a recruiter can be a great way to find a job.
Why You Should Trust Recruiters
Recruiters are committed to finding the best match for both you and the employers, but why should you trust them?
- Experts on the job market. Recruiters know the job market inside out and they know what skills are in demand.
- Committed to the right match. Recruiters are not just looking to match you with just any job. They are looking to find the right match for both you and the companies they work with. They will take the time to understand you, your skills, and your values to match it with a company you’ll want to stay in long-term.
- Discreet and confidential. Recruiters understand the importance of confidentiality. They will keep your information confidential, and they will not share it with anyone without your permission.
But how do you know if a recruiter/recruitment agency is reputable?
- Do your research. Before you work with any recruiter or recruitment agency, take some time to research them. Look for agencies that have a good reputation (search for them on Google or LinkedIn) with experience in your job scope or industry. For companies registered in Malaysia, make sure they are registered with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) and registered with Department of Labour (JTK). (FYI, FIND is registered with both 😉)
- Get referrals. Ask your friends, family, or colleagues if they have any recruiters or recruitment agencies they’d recommend.
- Interview the agency. Once you’ve shortlisted a few agencies, interview them. This will give you a chance to learn more about their services and to see if they are a good fit for you.
- Trust your gut. If you have a good feeling about a recruiter or an agency, go with your gut. Trust your instincts and you’re more likely to have a positive experience.
They can help you find the right job for you and they can give you the best possible chance of getting hired.
Before You Work with a Recruiter
- Be clear about your goals. Before you start working with a recruiter, be clear about what you are looking for in a job. What are your skills and experience? What are your salary expectations? What kind of company are you looking for?
- Be responsive and honest. Sometimes life happens and it may affect your work. It’s important to let the recruiter know so that they know how to help you through it.
- Be patient. It may take some time to find the right job. Don't get discouraged if you don't get hired right away.
If you’re ready to kickstart your search for a recruiter, look no further! Get in touch with us today and one of our friendly and helpful recruiters will be in touch soon.
You may also like
Subscribe to our newsletter
We will send you hottest news as soon as they are posted